LBKA’s Central Council delegates powers to its Education Committee to co-ordinate and promote educational activities within the Association.
These activities are subject to funding agreements, when necessary, with Central Council.
- It promotes and encourages District’s to offer Beginners courses by establishing the following criteria:
Sufficiently experienced beekeeping members run courses on a voluntary basis;
they follow the outline structure as in BBKA’s White Course in a Case;
they all charge the same agreed fee.
- It further encourages Districts to support members in taking the BBKA Basic Assessment
- At Association level it offers practical training on a bi-annual basis for more experienced beekeepers eg for those wishing to take BBKA’s General Husbandry assessment and there is a Study Group for those wishing to follow a course of study related to BBKA Module exams
- The Education Committee is responsible for the administration of The Leslie Thorne Award, which is designed to encourage young beekeepers.
- It also organizes the following Specific Events:
The Association’s Spring and Autumn Lectures
A Bee Health Day in conjunction with Bee Inspectors
A Taster Day for prospective beekeepers
Central Council requires that:
- a) there shall be a minimum of one LBKA trustee on the committee, who is identified as such in the minutes and must be present when any major decision is made.
- b) a representative of the Committee reports to Central Council at least twice each year.
- The Education Committee holds regular meetings as required to co-ordinate and organise educational activities such as lectures, courses, practical days, and workshops in order to advance beekeeping and to encourage the development of skilled trainers.
- The committee comprises a Chair and Secretary, who are elected annually at LBKA’s AGM, plus other interested members from LBKA’s Districts. The Chair reserves the right to limit numbers if it becomes necessary for the efficient running of the Committee.
- All meetings are minuted and these minutes are published on the LBKA website.
Contact details for the Chair and Secretary of the Education Committee can be found in the current Directory, on the LBKA website www.lincsbka.org.uk or by request to the Association’s Honorary Secretary.
As at March 2017
Chair and LBKA Trustee, Martin Robinson, email Click Here, tel – 07971695454
Secretary, Celia Smith, email Click Here, tel – 07527600698
Others on the committee include members from the following Districts:
Plus the Association’s Examinations Secretary, Mike Seal.